For the best images, I do suggest cleaning your horse and tack and present as you would for a competition. Ideally hoof oil/black will finish the look, although plaiting or banding is completely optional depending on the final images you would like.
You know your horse best - if your horse normally needs working down before it settles, then you might consider lunging or riding earlier in the day, particularly if the horse is not normally turned out. You don’t want to work the horse down so that they are tired and lifeless, just enough to take the edge off. However if you would like liberty photos having them full of energy works really well!
We’ve got nine horses of our own – ponies, Arabs, Standardbreds and Thoroughbreds and they are all unique – there is nothing your horse can do that I won’t be able to work with one way or another, so please don’t stress about this part of your session!
Very early morning and mid to late afternoon (the last two hours before sunset) are the best times for good lighting for portrait photography, especially in summer when the sun creates strong shadows.
Overcast days can be good for photography throughout the day if the cloud cover is even and not too dark, although the shine on horse coats is not as obvious on overcast days.
The most beautiful time of day is what is known as the 'golden hour' - the hour before sunset when the atmospheric light helps create beautiful, dramatically lit photo’s with a magical, golden warmth.
Bad weather and being sick isn't fun for anyone and really dosn't allow for beautiful photos. If the weather is unfavourable (heavy rain, strong winds) or someone is sick on the day of your session then I am happy to re-schedule for another suitable day.
Private Portrait Sessions
Payment can be made by cheque, cash, Direct Deposit or credit card at your Image Reveal & Order Session.
Equestrian Event Photography
Prints, Products and Digital Downloads for event photos are ordered directly through the website and can be paid for by Credit Card or Paypal.
Many of my personal images are available for Licencing as stock photos and Fine Art images for Art Licencing on collectibles.
I am also available for editorial and commercial photo sessions.
Please contact me with your requirements.
Professional photo editing is available for photos taken at Equestrian events from $30 per edit/$65 per hour and includes:
- Signature Colour Explosion edits
- Background removal, replacement, clean up or blur
- Halter/Bridle/leadrope removal
- Photo Collages
- Sequence Photography
- Graphic design for Magazine ads
- Artistic interpretations of photographic images
Due to the nature of custom artwork and editing, each image is priced individually according to time involved and final print size or digital output.
Please contact Michelle to discuss your requirements and obtain an individual quote for the work you would like done.
Equine Event Photography
Standard photographic prints and products from Equestrian Events can be ordered simply and safely direct though the website.
- Browse the available images in the gallery for the event you are interested in.
- Click the 'Buy' button on the bottom right of any image that you wish to purchase. The 'Shop' Screen will open with categories for Packages, Prints, Downloads or Home Decor (canvas Prints, Acrylic prints and fine art paper prints).
- Click the category to view the available products and sizes.
- Click The 'Add' button then customize adjustments as required (zoom in, move and select paper type - lustre or metallic - for photo prints).
- Click 'Add to Cart'.
- Continue shopping or Proceed through the checkout by registering your name, email, address and shipping method.
- Follow instructions to complete payment.
Add to Favourites: The Heart icon at the top right of images allows you to build your selection of favourite photos to view together to make ordering easier.